- XN Sports NFL Mock Draft 4.0 - Apr 10, 2015
- 6 Teams That Need To Win The 2015 NFL Draft - Apr 7, 2015
- Manziel, RGIII Among 6 NFL Players Facing A Make-Or-Break 2015 Season - Apr 6, 2015
As training camps across the NFL continue, XN Sports will report the top headlines of each day.
With the preseason nearing, there is no shortage of intrigue and optimism, key injuries, and potential holdouts, as well as late offseason signings.
Here are the top five headlines for Friday:
Nine-game ban for Smith?
The 49ers are “bracing” for linebacker Aldon Smith to receive a six- to eight-game suspension from the NFL, CSN Bay Area reported.
Source: 49ers do not know verdict of potential NFL discipline for Aldon Smith, but they’re bracing for 6 to 8 games.
— Matt Maiocco (@MaioccoCSN) August 8, 2014
That is a longer timetable than what was originally anticipated, which was closer to a four-game suspension. Smith met with Commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday and then watched the Niners’ preseason game from the sidelines.
Chargers tight ends
Despite being 34 years old, ESPN.com expects Antonio Gates to “remain the most targeted tight end” in San Diego this season. Gates’ 2013 season was his best since 2009, but still nowhere close where he was during his prime years.
Still, the same report projects Ladarius Green to be a major factor in the Bolts’ offense. Entering his third year, ESPN.com says Green has “taken another step in his development” and “will be more featured more in the offense.” It’ll be interesting to see which one of these two — or both — is the top tight end in 2014.
Pierce looking sharp
ESPN.com reports Bernard Pierce has been the best running back so far in Ravens training camp. Pierce, 24, is entering his third season in Baltimore, and so far is adjusting best to Gary Kubiak‘s zone-blocking scheme.
Pierce will start at least the first two weeks of the season while Ray Rice is serving his suspension. If Pierce impresses, perhaps he can get a handle on the starting job for longer.
Best rookie corner … ever?
Marvin Lewis had some high praise for the Bengals’ first-round pick. On Thursday, the coach said Darqueze Dennard has been the “best rookie corner I’ve seen.”
Lions ink a defensive back
The Lions signed veteran cornerback Drayton Florence, formerly of the Panthers.
The #Lions have signed CB Drayton Florence. He was with Detroit two years ago. Played for Carolina last season.
— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 7, 2014
Last season, Florence, 33, recorded 19 tackles and nabbed a pair of interceptions filling in at safety, corner, and nickelback. The Lions made few moves to address their secondary this offseason, and will compete for playing time behind Darius Slay and Rashean Mathis.
- Football’s Most Renowned Teams that Send the Fans Crazy
- Fighting in Hockey: Good or Bad?
- Favorites & Challengers in the New Look NHL 2020-2021 Season
- The Highest Paid NBA Stars Of Right Now
- Are All the Injuries Accrued in Week Two Due to No Pre-Season
- Horse Racings Wealthiest Events Worldwide
- Week 15 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread
- What is the best bet to make on Baseball?
- Week 12 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread
- Week 9 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread