- NBA Playoff Picture Finally Takes Shape, XN Sports Provides The View - Apr 8, 2015
- Shaquille O’Neal Still Dreams of What Could Have Been in Orlando - Mar 29, 2015
- Steve Nash Proved He Belonged And Still Does - Mar 23, 2015
Just a year into the five-year, $80 million deal he inked with the team last summer, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are now actively shopping star cornerback Darrelle Revis and may even move to waive him if they can’t quickly broker a deal.
The Bucs recently hired Lovie Smith as coach and the Tampa Two defense he is renowned for is not thought to be conducive to Revis’ All-Pro man-to-man skills. What’s more, Revis, whose salary averages out at $16 million per season, is due a $1.5 million roster bonus later this month and a $1.5 million offseason workout bonus that the team could rid itself of if they are quickly able to deal the 29-year-old, seven-year veteran.
“Talks could certainly progress as we approach the start of the league year next month,” a source told CBSSports.com. Revis makes $16 million this season and Tampa has several other tricky contracts to sort through, particularly along the offensive line.
With star cornerback Aqib Talib himself a free agent, one rumored suitor for Revis could be the New England Patriots. Though based on the terms of his current deal, the fact Revis’ cap number would be even greater that of quarterback Tom Brady gives the Patriots some pause in deciding which Pro Bowler to most aggressively pursue. The team also has to consider the fact that Talib is coming off a major hip injury while, for the fifth time in his career, Revis played in all 16 games last season.
What’s more, ProFootballFocus.com reports in rating as the league’s No. 1 cornerback last season, Revis allowed just 400 yards, ranking tops in that category compared to Talib who stood at No. 58.
Overall, Revis had 43 tackles and two interceptions for the Bucs last season. His best statistical season came as a New York Jet in 2009 when he recorded 47 tackles and six interceptions.
- Most Likely Super Bowl LVI Matchup
- Football’s Most Renowned Teams that Send the Fans Crazy
- Fighting in Hockey: Good or Bad?
- Favorites & Challengers in the New Look NHL 2020-2021 Season
- The Highest Paid NBA Stars Of Right Now
- Are All the Injuries Accrued in Week Two Due to No Pre-Season
- Horse Racings Wealthiest Events Worldwide
- Week 15 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread
- What is the best bet to make on Baseball?
- Week 12 NFL Picks Against the Point Spread